Monday, March 28, 2011

Review: Avene Cleanance K Cream-gel

This Avene Cleanance K Cream-gel is an improved formula of the previous Cleanance K.

Product Information (credit: Eau Thermale Avene website):

Cleanance K is formulated as a daily treatment for oily skin with imperfections. Through its exfoliating, mattifying and hydrating properties, it will help eliminate pimples and blackheads.
For its 10th anniversary in 2009, with constant improvements in mind, the Cleanance K formula was optimized for even better effectiveness:
-More effective in removing imperfections and controlling oil production. Complexion becomes smoother and more even. 
-A new and innovative cream-gel texture: This light and comfortable texture offers a non shiny, non oily finish. Its lamellar structure made of liquid crystals plays a storage role for key ingredients which are released in a slow and continuous manner.
Hypoallergenic and non comedogenic.
Properties
1. Strengthened exfoliating action through the unique synergy of AHA and BHA*. The BHA concentration has been increased in this new formula in order to maximize its effectiveness. The advantage of this synergistic action is to work at several levels, resulting in a true peeling effect which unclogs pores.
2. Lasting mattifying action using mattifying powders combined with Cucurbita pepo and, in this new formula, Vitamin B6.
3. Optimal skin hydration: Botanical-based emulsifier for a slow release of Cleanance K key ingredients. Each component of the oil phase was specifically selected to bring additional hydration while guaranteeing a non oily and non shiny finish.
4. Long-lasting soothing and anti-irritating effect: Naturally active Avène Thermal Spring Water provides true soothing properties that can be felt immediately. The combination of alpha-bisabolol and zinc gluconate strengthens this anti-irritating effect and helps in long-lasting soothing.
My Review:

I used Avene Cleanance K Cream-gel as a starter to AHAs. There is a lot of information about the product on the website but they did not tell me the most important thing I want to know - the percentage of AHA/BHAs. I bought the product anyway since the sales assistant said this is gentler than Avene Diacneal, which I was hoping to use eventually, but was worried it might be too strong for my skin.

I eased slowly into this product, by which I mean once every 3 days for a week. I didn't feel much on my skin so I increased to alternate days. I stopped using the product if I felt any redness or dryness or discomfort. Only when my skin was back to normal then I continued using it. I did not experience any purging or peeling (I experienced both with Diacneal).

As mentioned, I do not like that fact that the % of AHAs and BHAs are not reported as it makes it difficult to compare across products. The reason why I say this is because I experience some stinging every time I use this Avene Cleanance K Cream-gel but I don't experience any stinging with Therapeutic Dermatologic Formula's AHA Revitalizing Gel 15, which is supposedly stronger at 15% Glycolic Acid. The sales assistant at the Avene counter was sure Cleanance K has less than 10% AHAs.

I read that there is higher Salicylic Acid (BHA) with this new formula, which is a good thing as BHAs are oil-soluble and can penetrate the pores to clean them out. I did have the old Cleanance K ingredients list to compare and indeed the Salicylic Acid was higher up on the list, but then again still no % indicated.

I feel that Avene Cleanance K Cream-gel did help with my skin. My skin was smoother but there was not that great an improvement. I think that Avene Diacneal gave me more results. So I would recommend Diacneal as a treatment if you have acne problems, and Cleanance K for milder skin imperfections like blackheads, or as a maintenance after stopping Diacneal or if Diacneal is too harsh for your skin.

I think it is also great that Avene Cleanance K Cream-gel contains some hydrating properties. The old Cleanace K formula made me oil up after a couple of hours due to dehydration of my skin. So I think the new formula is indeed an improved version.

All in all, it is a good product that gave some results but I probably would not repurchase as results were not significant. Avene Cleanance K Cream-gel does seem like it would be good for those with sensitive skin, but do ask for a sample before buying as it does sting a bit.

Ingredients of Avene Cleanance K Cream-gel (credit: Avene.co.uk):

AVENE THERMAL SPRING WATER (AVENE AQUA). GLYCOLIC ACID. CYCLOMETHICONE. WATER (AQUA). PPG-15 STEARYL ETHER. PROPYLENE GLYCOL. GLYCERIN. LACTIC ACID. POLYMETHYL METHACRYLATE. PROPYLENE GLYCOL CETETH-3 ACETATE. SODIUM HYDROXIDE. CETYL ALCOHOL ARACHIDYL ALCOHOL. POLYCRYLATE-13. GLYCERIN STEARATE. PEG-100 STEARATE. SALICYLIC ACID. ARACHIDYL GLUCOSIDE. BEHENYL ALCOHOL. BISABOLOL. CUCURBITA PEPO (PUMPKIN) SEED OIL (CUCURBITA PEPO). DIMETHICONE. DISODIUM EDTA. FRAGRANCE (PARFUM). POLYISOBUTENE. POLYSORBATE 20. PYRIDOXINE HCL. ZINC GLUCONA TE. 


3 comments:

  1. I purchased this product together with the TriAcneal (Which I believe is the "new and improved" Diacneal) And I have been using both products for a week and my skin had been stripped of all moisture, is luminous red, peeling and basically in the worst condition it has ever been. I was so disappointed because it worked great for the first three days. I should have researched before hand because I never really knew anything about this product, I just thought I would try a new skincare routine. But thanks to your review, I have a better understanding of the product and will stop using it until my skin heals and then use it every few days.
    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly, I'm glad this review is useful. Remember to also use this product and all other AHAs on dry skin only as AHAs irritate skin when it is wet. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I just purchased this item as my fist AHA product.. while researching I came across this info
    Avene Cleanance K Lotion: Avene Thermal Spring Water 50%, Cucurbita Pepo, Zinc Gluconate, Glycolic Acid (AHA) 6%, Lactic Acid (AHA) 2%, Salicylic Acid (BHA) 0.1% and Alpha Bisabolol.
    I'll try not to overdo it.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"